Saturday, January 14, 2012

One Thousand Gifts: Day 6, January 14, 2012

So, I'm super sleepy as I write this, but I really wanted to share the gifts I've experienced today with all of you. Today the 3 gifts I am to write about are 3 ways I glimpsed the startling grace of God. At first I was having a hard time with this, but I've been reading the book One Thousand Gifts, and in the chapter I read today it expressed the thought that everything is grace. "God is always good, and I am always loved....All is grace only because all can transfigure." This thought seems simple, but it is so profound. Even the ugliest things in this world are God's grace. We just have to look at everything with the right perspective, with the right lens.

So the first way I glimpsed the startling grace of God today was through my child sleeping in this morning. My kiddo is usually a very early riser, like before the sun comes up riser. Today though, God allowed me to be awake for an hour before everyone in my house, and it was such a blessed time. I spent the whole hour in communion with the Lord. I did some Bible study and spent alot of time in prayer. This time alone with the Lord set the whole tone for my day. It was a great start to my Saturday, and I'm so thankful for it.

The second way I glimpsed the startling grace of God was through some of the scripture I read this morning. Two of the verses I read this morning really stood out as grace to me. The verses are 1 Timothy 4:4-5. They say, "For everything created by God is good, and nothing is to be rejected if it is received with thanksgiving, for it is made holy by the word of God and prayer." This is exactly what I read tonight in 1000 Gifts. Everything created by God is good, and nothing should be rejected. I should be thankful for everything that God allows in my life because He is making me holy through it.

The third way I glimpsed the startling grace of God is going to seem a little trivial, but like I've already said, everything is grace. For those who don't know, I'm a huge New Orleans Saints fan. My husband and I used to live in New Orleans, and we love that city! It has a part of our hearts, and it will forever. We spent our first year of marriage there living in a FEMA trailer serving the Lord by helping the victims of Hurricane Katrina. It was one of the best years I've ever had. We had so little, but we were so content. We saw God work in mighty ways, and well, I fell in love with a football team. The Saints team was somewhat of a light in the darkness of Katrina. The team gave the city hope, and I still remember the first night back in the Superdome after Katrina. It was so special and emotional, and I just love that place and that team. The Saints are kind of a way I can stay connected to the city of New Orleans. Anyway, they were in the play-offs for the Superbowl today, but it wasn't pretty. We almost won, but at the last minute we lost. I was seriously heart-broken, but I'm still thankful for the game and the loss. For one, I'm thankful God allowed me to watch the game, and second I'm thankful the season is over for awhile because these games have been stressing me out! :) I already have some minor heart issues, and they seriously flare up in close games like tonight, so this is a grace from God in its own way.

So there are my 3 gifts from today. Sorry only one picture tonight. Here is me and my sweet puppy, Nola, before the Saints game started. I was so excited, but I still love my team anyway!

No comments: